Every day volunteers improve the lives of animals and play a vital role in the success of the shelter, which cares for over 25,000 animals each year.
Volunteers enrich the lives of homeless pets while they wait for their forever families and help build a community where people value animals and treat them with respect and kindness.
Volunteering at MDAS
- Miami-Dade Animal Services welcomes volunteers. Your participation and fresh ideas can help enrich lives, and toward finding forever, loving homes for homeless dogs and cats.
- Volunteers receive training and orientation as well as an introduction to the services and the mission of Miami-Dade County Animal Services.
Individuals who wish to volunteer their time and services to Miami Dade Animal Services must complete the following:
- Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older (or 15 if volunteering with a parent or adult volunteer).
- Commit to a requirement of 6 months (100 hours).
- Must pass a criminal history background check provided by ASD. Volunteers 15 years old will have the background check done along with their parent or legal guardian.
- Be able to effectively communicate in the English language.
- Attend a volunteer orientation.
- Adhere to the volunteer dress code (long khaki pants, closed-toe shoes, and volunteer t-shirt that will be provided).
- Complete and return the volunteer application
You must attend a two-hour volunteer orientation session to become a volunteer. Sessions are held at the following times and locations:
Pet Adoption and Protection Center
- Every Saturday at 10 AM
- The first and third Thursday of every month at 5 PM
Petco Adoption Center: 6200 South Dixie Hwy, South Miami, FL 33143
- The second and fourth Friday of the month at 5 PM
- Email: volunteerasd@miamidade.
gov for an appointment